Friday, November 13, 2015

I Was Mistaken for a Veteran

I wear a black coat in the fall. I got it from H&M a few years ago. Here's what it looks like, in case you're curious:
If you search "H&M men's coat" it's actually the first picture that comes up. I don't pull it off the way the model does. I look a lot less presentable, but it gets compliments.

I went to the grocery store on Veteran's Day and it was pretty busy. I was in the checkout line in front of a little girl and her mom, but the little girl was staring at me the whole time. When I made eye contact with her she pointed and said, "He's a veteran!"

All eyes were on me right away. I shook my head but her mom was saying, "How do you know?"

The girl kept pointing and said, "His coat."

I shook my head again but the cashier handed me my receipt very deferentially and instantly said, "I could tell by his hair. You're a hero, sir."

My hair is very, very short. I had totally shaved it not long ago, so the combination of shaved head and military-ish jacket were giving people the wrong idea.

I looked from girl to cashier and said clearly, "No, I'm not a hero, I'm not-"

The guy interrupted and spoke over me, loudly telling me, "You are a hero, and don't let anyone tell you differently!"

There's probably a special place in hell for people who impersonate the military on some sort of remembrance day. At the time, I looked from cashier to little girl, shrugged and said, "Okay. I'm a hero. But I'm not a soldier, sorry." They both looked confused and I turned and walked away.

I may not be the hero a grocery store deserves, but I'll be the one it needs.

Have a good rest of the week!

****Disclaimer: This is half-true and half-embellished. Please don't send me death-threats for trying to be funny, I'm well aware I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment